- Automotive Lighting Manufacturer Supports Car Care Council’s Awareness Month in April
Wilmington, Massachusetts USA-SYLVANIA Automotive Lighting, the leader in automotive lighting solutions for the automotive aftermarket and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), is supporting the Car Care Council, a non-profit organization dedicated to educating motorists on the importance of regular vehicle care, by commemorating National Car Care Month throughout the month of April.
“In addition to checking lubricants and fluid levels, looking under the hood, and ensuring brakes work properly, drivers must not forget about a very important safety component – a vehicle’s headlights.”
“National Car Care Month in April is an ideal time for motorists to focus on their overall vehicle maintenance needs after the wear and tear caused by winter weather,” said Rich White, executive director of the Car Care Council. “In addition to checking lubricants and fluid levels, looking under the hood, and ensuring brakes work properly, drivers must not forget about a very important safety component – a vehicle’s headlights.”
Headlights are an active safety item and the first line of defense on a vehicle; if drivers cannot see objects on the road, they cannot react. To spread further awareness on automotive care, SYLVANIA Automotive Lighting recommends vehicle owners follow four best practices when it comes to proper headlight maintenance, not just during National Car Care Month, but year-round:
- Understand the choices in headlight performance levels: When it comes to headlights performance, many consumers should know that there are a variety of choices available on the market to help suit their individual needs. For instance, there are options available that offer brighter down road visibility or whiter light which improves contrast and helps drivers distinguish objects on the side of the road better than basic headlights.
- Replace before burnout: All too often, vehicles with a burned out headlight can be found traveling on dark roads, posing a risk to both the driver and others on the road. With one headlight out, drivers are essentially seeing half as well as they potentially could. If a vehicle owner cannot remember the last time headlights were changed, it may be time for replacements.
- Always replace in pairs: It’s very important to replace headlights in sets of two. Since headlights dim over their lifetime, a new bulb paired with an old bulb will create an uneven field of vision, which can be a major distraction on the road for both drivers and oncoming traffic.
- Do it yourself: Changing a vehicle’s headlight bulb can be a simple process that doesn’t require a mechanic or service professional. In fact, various online guides and resources exist to help consumers swap out headlight bulbs in a matter of minutes. Consult the vehicle’s owner’s manual for bulb/headlight replacement procedures, needed tools and safety precautions. Always wear safety glasses and work gloves, as well.
“Asking a simple question such as, ‘do you want to see better when driving at night,’ can help motorists understand the importance of changing their headlights for an improved on road experience,” explained Brian Noble, marketing manager, SYLVANIA Automotive Lighting. “Updating a vehicle’s headlights can affect the lives of drivers and their overall experience on the road. Better headlights can help improve visibility and increasing chances of seeing objects sooner in the event of an accident or hazardous road conditions. This is a simple maintenance check that drivers of all ages should prioritize when it comes to overall road safety.”
The SYLVANIA SilverStar® family of headlights include a variety of headlights to suit individual needs and driving styles. Of note, SilverStar ULTRA is SYLVANIA Automotive Lighting’s brightest downroad headlight, designed with a whiter light that can help provide more visibility down the road and to the side of the road for drivers.
To learn more about National Car Care Month, go to www.CarCare.org or search #CarCare on Twitter.
For more information on SYLVANIA SilverStar® headlights and other SYLVANIA Automotive Lighting offerings, please visitwww.sylvania.com/auto.
About OSRAM SYLVANIA Automotive Lighting
OSRAM SYLVANIA, together with OSRAM GbmH, is the world leader in automotive lighting for original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and the aftermarket. The company’s global automotive lighting division has its principal North American operations in Hillsboro, N.H., with nearly 600 employees. In addition to TS 16949, this facility has also achieved ISO 9001 and 14001 certifications. Automotive Lighting designs, develops, manufactures and markets state-of-the-art automotive light sources, including auxiliary, advanced halogen, LED and high-intensity discharge lighting for interior, exterior and forward lighting applications. More than 400 lamp types are produced for cars, trucks, and electronics in facilities throughout the U.S., Europe, and Asia. Automotive applications for OEMs are marketed under the OSRAM brand while products for the aftermarket are sold under the SYLVANIA brand.
ABOUT OSRAM SYLVANIA
OSRAM SYLVANIA is part of OSRAM Americas, a group of OSRAM companies located in North and South America. As a leader in lighting solutions and services, specializing in innovative design and energy saving technology, the company sells products for homes, businesses and vehicles under the brand names OSRAM, Traxon, ENCELIUM and SYLVANIA. The company’s portfolio covers the entire value chain of components, ranging from lamps, control units and optical semiconductors such as light-emitting diodes (LED) to luminaires, light management systems and lighting solutions. The OSRAM SYLVANIA and OSRAM Americas regional headquarters is located in Wilmington, Massachusetts. For more information, visit www.osram-americas.comor follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
OSRAM, based in Munich, is a globally leading lighting manufacturer with a history dating back more than 100 years. The portfolio ranges from high-tech applications based on semiconductor technology, such as infrared or laser lighting, to smart and connected lighting solutions in buildings and cities. OSRAM had around 33,000 employees worldwide at the end of fiscal 2015 (September 30) and generated revenue of almost €5.6 billion in that fiscal year. The company is listed on the stock exchanges in Frankfurt and Munich (ISIN: DE000LED4000; WKN: LED 400; trading symbol: OSR). Additional information can be found atwww.osram.com.
About The Car Care Council
The Car Care Council is the source of information for the “Be Car Care Aware” consumer education campaign promoting the benefits of regular vehicle care, maintenance and repair to consumers. For a free copy of the council’s popular Car Care Guide or for more information, visit www.carcare.org.
OSRAM and SYLVANIA are trademarked.
All other trademarks are those of their respective owners.